top of page

Our Services

Black River Good Neighbor Services offers several assistance programs, both on our own and on behalf of other organizations. We administer programs for the U.S. Department of Agriculture and provide assistance in accessing programs run by the State of Vermont and by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Below is a list of all the services we offer. If you have any questions, please call us at 802-228-3663.

Food Shelf Programs

We maintain a food shelf for the benefit of individuals and families in Ludlow, Cavendish, Proctorsville, Mt. Holly, Belmont, and Plymouth. Anyone who needs food but cannot afford to buy it may apply to us for assistance. Those who meet our guidelines may generally receive enough food, as available,

for each person in the household, not to exceed four days

per month (every 30 days).

Our Food Shelf

We also distribute food through the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture’s Emergency Food Assistance Program and their Commodity Supplemental Food Program.  Each of these programs requires an application available in our office.  For more information on these programs please see our Special Programs page.

Financial Assistance

Food is only one of many problems that people face when times are tough. Therefore, we provide financial aid    to individuals and households in several areas. Anyone who is an established resident in our service area and believes that he or she needs help in one of these areas may visit our office at 37B Main St. in Ludlow to fill out  an application and to discuss the situation with our staff. We do not provide cash, but, when approved, we do  pay bills to landlords or vendors.


Heating Assistance: Clients must first have applied to other agencies including the Vermont Department for Children and Families (DCF) and Southeastern Vermont Community Action (SEVCA) before we will supply aid. BRGNS can supply limited fuel oil, propane, kerosene, or wood used to heat a home. Applicants must have either written or verbal proof that they have applied to other agencies first for heating assistance.


We are also a U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) application distribution center so we do have applications available for that program.


Housing Assistance: We can help find limited temporary housing assistance, including the payment of rent. We do not pay security deposits.


Utilities Assistance: BRGNS can provide limited assistance for utilities such as electricity, propane, kerosene, fuel oil, or wood used for cooking, lights or hot water. We do not pay utility deposits.


Miscellaneous Assistance: Above may be available at BRGNS’ discretion.


Please note that BRGNS does not provide assistance for telephone, (cell or landline), cable or satellite TV bills,     or past due bill payments. (Assistance will only be paid for current bills.)  BRGNS may make a referral to other agencies and will help applicants with referrals as circumstances warrant.


If you have any questions about qualifying for assistance as outlined above, please visit us at 37B Main Street, Ludlow, or call us at (802) 228-3663.

bottom of page